Wednesday, September 22, 2010

St. Paul's and Chelsea Football game!

Today was SO MUCH FUN! It was around 70 degrees F here and sunny! SUCH A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN LONDON TOWN :)

Today I had 2 classes then I went on a field trip to St. Paul's Cathedral! SOOO GORGEOUS! I took a few pictures, even though we weren't supposed to inside, but I can't post them yet because my laptop is STILL broken. I'm going to try to find somewhere to bring it this weekend. Maybe tomorrow because I have the day off.

A couple of my friends have uploaded pictures from today though, so here is one my roommate took:



St. Paul's is gorgeous! It is such an impressive cathedral. A cathedral was first built there in the year 630!!! That's INSANE! The building there now is either the 4th or 5th, depending on your interpreation of the first two which were just wooden shacks apparently. Then in 1666 it had to be rebuilt because of the Great Fire of London. We got to get a private tour, since we went through Regent's, so we had this fabulous tour guide who gave us all this inside information that a regular tourist probably wouldn't have been able to experience! We toured the main floor, the crypt (so weird to walk on a floor that has bodies underneath it) and then we walked up over 530+ stairs to the top dome!! There are actually TWO domes, but we went to the one on top! I took sooo many pictures! the views were really impressive. There are a couple pictures of me, with the entire city landscape in the background, on my camera. So i will definitely upload those ASAP!!!

Climbing that many scared was sort of scary as we got near the top, because it got very narrow and the stairs were made of iron and were see-through in areas. We had to squeeze through narrow archways, low ceilings, and there weren't railings in some areas too! You could tell that it was definitely built a looonggg time ago because there's no way staircases like those would pass building firecodes today!

But it was aboslutely, definitely worth it. (again, pictures to come ASAP...)

THENNN tonight I went to my first ever English football game!!! It was Chelsea vs. Newcastle. We cheered for Chelsea, as they are a london team. There colors are blue and white. I fell in love with London all over again. Honestly, I got like emotional. I love this place. I just love everything about the community feeling and the fact that the sport values technique strategy, and speed and not steroids and being a meathead... It's just better. I mean, yes, you get the few drunks in the stands... but I don't know how to explain it. The entire time I just kept imagining Colin Firth in Fever Pitch and I got so excited! I was in heaven. I bought a Chelsea scarf while I was there, had a ham and cheese sandwhich and a beer. You cant take alcohol into the stadium, so I had to drink it quickly during half time! oops!

Anyway, it was fun but chelsea lost. :( The score was 4-3, Newcastle won. I took some videos.. I'll post them soon!



Here is a picture of the stadium, I found it online... this is about from the angle where my seat was! I sat in the 27th row on the west side.. i was on the bottom level though so I had a pretty good view!!! I heard there were like 41,000 people there!

Andddd an old picture from the other weekend... Eliza, Austin, Jill and I at the Hard Rock Cafe in London right next to Hyde Park:

2 comments:

  1. Sweetie, this is like when I was in Ireland. Trust me it is a beautiful view, if only you could see it!!!!

    Get the computer fixed. PLEASE!!!! I'd love to see the photos.

    Glad you enjoyed the game. Pay attention to the taxes and the VAT while you are being so enraptured darling.

    Love you -

    ReplyDelete
  2. love you too! i have some more pictures to upload, stole them from my friend sheila :) and the computer guy came today to take my computer away and get it fixed!!!

    ReplyDelete