Friday, December 17, 2010

Second to last day in London!

Today is my second to last full day in London. It is so sad! This is the most bitter sweet thing I have ever done. I miss my friends and family, but I do not want to leave this amazing city. It will be so weird to not be able to hop the tube and go wherever I want and do literally anything I can imagine. I love London!

Regent's Park

Today it snowed in London! This is a picture of the park I live in. I see this every day when I leave the back gate from my dorm to the Baker Street tube. Everyone freaked out because of the snow and ice because London doesn't have the budget really for salting the streets and side walks. It only snowed for maybe a maximum of two hours and it barely even stuck to the grass! It did make the side walks slippery though!

The most fearless birds ever. They are ALWAYS here at the park :)

This morning I went to a store on Brick Lane which is at the Liverpool Street tube stop. It was on the same street as Aladin (the Indian Restaurant I went to). The shop was full of London designers and I bought a tweed jacket that is very Londony horse-back riding looking.

Silly design I saw in a parking lot. I guess it means beware of bird droppings!

Street art on Brick Lane

Liverpool station area is in the east side of London, which is known for being less wealthy, but it is actually blossoming quickly and is becoming quite a vibrant, fun place to live. There are lots of markets (Spitafields is there) and it has lots of vintage stores and boutiques. It is also an interesting place to explore because it is one of the most mixed places architecturally. This is because some buildings are new because the area was harmed so badly during the Blitz (WWII bombings). It is so interesting to see really old buildings from the 1800s next to brand new ones like the London egg! (The giant egg-shaped building. All offices inside)

Liverpool St station area... that's the "egg" in the background.

After exploring brick lane, I met up with Jenna and Becky at the London Coliseum which is a theatre on St. Martin's Street right near Leicester Square. There we watched the Royal National Opera perform the Nutcracker. It was so nice to just enjoy a ballet as it snowed softly outside. It really put my in the Christmas spirit!

The Nutcracker

Tomorrow is my last full day here in London for this semester. It is such a bitter sweet feeling. I am going to try to make the most of it and visit Abbey Road, Westminster Abbey and say good-bye to my dear friend Big Ben!

No comments:

Post a Comment