Saturday, December 18, 2010

Cheers to London!

Big Ben, the London Eye, a double decker bus and a black taxi all in one picture!
The perfect London picture :)

Today is my last day in London! That is, as long as my flight isn't cancelled tomorrow. There was so much snow today! It made my last day of exploring London quite challenging as the cold was rough. I survived though! I went to Abbey Road, Westminster Abbey (and I loved the Poet's corner) and to Big Ben one last time. Here are some pictures from today:

Liz and I crossing Abbey Road... I'm the one with the umbrella

Abbey Road Studios! Renamed to "Abbey Road" after the Beatles came up with the album title.

My contribution to the wall of postings outside Abbey Road Studios

Me at Westminster Abbey, earlier today.

Parliament

The past semester has been an amazing journey, but as the saying goes all good things must come to an end. (Unfortunately!) Tomorrow I will not say good-bye to London, but instead so-long as I promise I will soon be back. Perhaps for graduate school. This entire semester has taught me so much about myself, my life and others. My independence, appreciation for other people and cultures, and interest in learning about the world have all grown significantly, if not exponentially. I am so unbelievably grateful for this experience. It has taught me so much yet also made me curious to learn more. So thank you parents for your support, thank you 900 Degrees for employing me this summer, and thank you readers for your feedback and for keeping me excited to write as often and as detailed as possible!

I hope I have inspired some of you to travel to places you've never visited and to try new things. Learning and having new experiences is truly living. It sparks your brain and makes you feel refreshed and alive. But if travelling isn't your thing or isn't possible, start with taking a chance and stepping outside your comfort zone. Above all, stay adventurous and keep this piece of advice in mind I was told on orientation day: "Some things are just different here. You can't compare them to home. You need to be willing to accept things without trying to relate them to what you already know." This piece of advice has been so valuable this semester. It is human nature to compare things to what we are comfortable with, but just think of how if you were born somewhere else your opinions and point of reference would be completely different. By trying to forget my frame of reference (if only momentarily) I was so much better able to step into another person's shoes and grasp other cultures. So please, give it a go sometime.

I'm sad this is my last post, but I'm excited to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a safe and happy holiday season.

It has been a pleasure. Cheers. :) xx

2 comments:

  1. Punkin, what a terrific post! How sweet, and a perfect send-off picture and sentiment!!

    I will always remember "Twist and Shout" as the you-know-where song; and now I know my Beatles youth is imprinted back where it all started. How cool for me too!!

    What terrific last day photos. So glad you got to "Poet's Corner". I think that is one of the most awe-inspiring places I have ever been.

    You be careful tomorrow, we all love you and miss you and can't wait to have you back (for just a short pause until the next big adventure)

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot buddy for the informative updates. I really enjoyed reading your blog with thorough interest.
    best medicine course abroad

    ReplyDelete