Monday, December 13, 2010

Canterbury, Indian Food and a Chocolate Festival.

Leeds Castle

I had quite an exciting weekend! Etana visited, we went out to dinner for Indian food at this famous restaurant called Aladin, I took a day trip to Canterbury and attended a Chocolate Festival!

Moat outside Leeds Castle

This past weekend I took a day trip to Canterbury, England, Leeds Castle and the white Dover cliffs. Seeing Leeds castle was cool because King Henry VIII lived there at one point. The white cliffs were very beautiful as well and Dover reminded me somewhat of Rye, NH. I also really enjoyed seeing the English Channel. I had no idea that the beach would be made out of rocks. I expected sand. But it was made out of rocks, not tiny pebbles, but legitimate rocks!

Outside Leeds Castle

Dining Hall in Leeds Castle

Leeds Castle Library... I want it.

Dover Cliffs

Jill and I

Our shadows on the beach

I really enjoyed Caterbury because the Cathedral there was so impressive. Since the sun was setting, the Norman white stone of the Cathedral reflected the sunlight and shown. It was very gorgeous. It was also interesting to be in Canterbury because we took the Roman roads there which have been in place for thousands of years. Also, the famous Thomas Beckett was murdered at this very Cathedral. This year is the 840th anniversary of his death. Not only did I see the sight where he was murdered by 4 knights sent by the King, but I also saw his tomb. It was errie.

The Cathedral in Canterbury

Courtyard/Graveyard. People may no longer be burried indoors

Murder site

Canterbury lit up at night

After the day trip on Saturday I joined up with Etana and her Dutch friend Mirre and went out to dinner with some other friends here at Regent's to an Indian restaurant. The restaurant is called Aladin and is famous for its food because it was pronounced the best Indian restaurant in London by Prince Charles. The restaurant has also been featured on BBC. Although we made reservations online, the restaurant lost our reservation somehow and we had to wait a little over an hour. That was OK though because once we were seated, they told us the table was ours for the entire night. Plus, since the place does not have a liquor license, instead of giving the normal 10% voucher to the nearby liquor store, they gave us a 20% voucher. Sweet deal!

The restaurant

Etana and I

Jenna, Me, Becky

I ordered something called Chicken Tiki Masala with rice (Or something like that). It was delicious! It was this red, yogurt based mild sauce with chicken in it. I really enjoyed it. I also shared some red wine with Jill. It was a really enjoyable meal and it was fun to go out to dinner with the girls. It was nice to not eat at our uni's dining hall!

Everyone

Then on Sunday Etana and Mirre left. Jill, Jenna and I woke up at 4 am to walk them to their bus stop which brought them to the airport. Then after sleeping for a few more hours, Jill, Liz, Sheila, Eliza, Jenna, Becky and I all went to a Chocolate Festival that was in town near the Thames/London Eye. Apparently this festival is touring the country and was in London for the weekend. I watched a demonstration and learned all about fair trade chocolate and how certain types of cacao beans grown in the rainforest are better than others because, if workers are paid to do so, they are fermented for up to 4 days and thus have a more developed taste. We also learned that few chocolate bars in grocery stores are anything more than 80% sugar and 20% chocolate! Like anything else, you have to pay for quality. And fairness apparently. If you buy a £3 or £4 bar of chocolate, only around 10pence goes to the farmers! yikes!

Chocolate Festival Presentation

Today I had 2 finals. I am officially done Shakespeare and English Country Houses and Palaces! I have to write 1 more paper for Literary London tonight and then take that final tomorrow. Then I'll be done with classes at Regent's forever... weird!

Hope you enjoy my pictures from this crazy weekend!

Etana and I reppin' 900 :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey, sounds like a great weekend, library and all. Glad to see you advertising our businesses too. You should send Cilla a copy.

    ReplyDelete